Monday, June 25, 2007

Life Can Change in an Instant

Wednesday we went to our local 4H Show. We were all having a normal show day. Things were going well and the kids were having fun competing.

My very good friend Jen told me she just needed to run home for a minute. Her house is 5 blocks from the arena. So she left and the show was still going.

A few minutes later, we could hear sirens. Nobody really thought anything about it. I walked out of the main arena to the south arena and could see the ambulance and fire truck. I still did not panic. Someone in the south arena said that a car had been hit by the train. Then my husband called and said I think it was Jen who was hit. I happened to be standing right next to her daughter. I told her to stay with Coy and ran to my car. I got up there and could tell it was her family close by. Coy held on to Keylee until her uncle came to get her.

We were absolutely sick. Most people don't survive a collision with a train. It just stopped me to think that life could change so quickly. It had only been a few minutes since she had left.

We did get good news immediately. She was conscious and talking. I was totally amazed.

The train that hit her was going 50 MPH and it had 4 engines. I can not even imagine the force of the impact.

She was very blessed that day. Although she is very badly bruised and sore. She only had to have 8 stitches and there are no broken bones. We are all just thankful that she is still here with us.

It really made me stop and think that you should always be thankful when a loved one returns home safely.

No comments: