Friday, July 27, 2007

Children's Dreams

So what is a mom to do about children's dreams?

My son Brent has always wanted to be a bull rider and roper. I have pictures of him with a rope from the time that he could walk. During his early years, Brent never liked cartoons. His favorite video was rodeo bloopers. I found every rodeo video I could for him. Even home movies of his dad and uncle Troy in High School Rodeo and old NFR tapes. He simply would not watch anything else.

He roped everything and still does. But he also rode everything. He would pretend everything was a bull the arm of the couch, the rocking chair and even a Christmas popcorn tin.

I have tried for years to ignore the bull riding part. I made sure he had ropes and rope horses. I also made sure he never entered calf or steer riding in the junior rodeos. Now he is 12 and he still wants to become a bull rider. He watches the PBR tour. He knows all the cowboys and bulls. He even has the bull riding playset.

I keep thinking that if he gets thrown hard once, he will no longer want to do it. At least I hope that works. So I have finally consented to let him ride a steer in the next junior rodeo on August 3. I definitely will not be able to watch. His dad will have to take pictures.

I struggle with the as a parent I can say no but what about his dreams. So we will see how it goes. Maybe it will hurt and he wont want to do it anymore but what if he still does?

1 comment:

Kacey said...

Teresa, I loved your last few blogs...Raising kids is the hardest thing I've ever done and everyday I wonder if I'm doing ok. Its so hard to find the balance in everything it seems. Have you seen Finding Nemo lately? I know its a kids cartoon but there is a great message in it for adults.