Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Rodeo Is Not an Event - It is a Lifestyle

We were practicing roping on Sunday. During the winter in Utah, we have to ride indoors. So we have to haul the horses, the cows and all of our equipment to the indoor arena.

We spent over 4 hours between practicing and hauling horses, kids and cattle back and forth. This is what our life consists of constant practice, chores and traveling to the next rodeo.

We were having dinner on Sunday night with my brother and sister in law who came down to help. As we discussed the days events, my daughter says hey mom when are we going to get a new dishwasher? (Ours broke about a week ago.) My reply was well we have 2 rodeos to enter in March and several more in April. So probably not until next fall.

That is when my sister in law and I both laughed. Rodeo is not an event. It is even more than a sport. It is a lifestyle. You have to live it to understand it. I really had no idea how involved it is until my kids started living it. You sacrifice the nicer things in life to make it to the next rodeo.

Some may think we are crazy and we probably are. We love what we do. We are very close as a family. My kids have learned some amazing lessons about life, sacrifice, competition, and hard work through rodeo. I wouldn't change a thing. (Except to have lots more money to rodeo full time.)

3 comments:

Shauna Winter said...

Hey Teresa...when you find out how to be rich enough just to rodeo full time...let me know lol...but I must say I agree

Dan,Lisa,Zeak,Jake,Kaci said...

Amen!

Dan,Lisa,Zeak,Jake,Kaci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.