Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Patience-How Do You Find It Each Day?

I know that I am not the best parent. I really never would make that type of claim. Parenting is an ever changing process. I am not the most patient, easy going, carefree parent. I expect a lot from my children. They have pretty stringent guidelines on chores, homework, and maintaining the cleanliness in the house. Perhaps I need to learn to have more patience.

I generally want things done and done when I want them done. I work all day and then go home and get at least 2 or 3 projects done before I do anything relaxing like TV. So it is difficult for me to have the rest of the family sitting around when there are things to do.

My current issue is getting ready for school and work in the morning. We get up in stages. My 15 year old daughter of course takes the longest so she has to get up first. Then I shower. Then we wake up my 12 year old son. It should just take him minutes to get ready. Lately, he just drags his feet in the morning. He takes twice as long to do anything than it should. He has been late to leave for school for 3 days in a row.

So where do you find the patience to teach him a lesson without getting angry? I always have to focus on his feelings. I am sure he thinks I am just being hard on him or that I am somehow disappointed in all that he does. Sometimes it is just tough to balance the two.

No comments: