Thursday, February 22, 2007

So Far So Good

Well, I am not very good about blogging yet. I think that every post needs to have pictures and be an inspiring story. I am also just extremely busy.

Last week was not great. My husband was in the hospital for 3 days with pneumonia. Then Saturday night Brent had the stomach flu. I was up with him from 10:30 p.m. til 6:30 a.m. Then Sunday morning Racheal woke up with another sinus infection. Needless to say I have not had much sleep or time for anything else.

However, before Brent got sick, we took his horse to rope for the first time to the arena. It started off great. He caught his first calf on her. Then he spent some time trying to get used to her and missed the next few. When he caught again, we called it good. She worked really well for him.

Saturday we took her their first rodeo together. She worked well. However, he threw a nice head loop on the calf instead of a calf loop and it did not go over the calf's head. He did have a better goat run. He is getting off and tying a lot better.

Racheal looked really good in the breakaway. She is getting more aggressive when she comes out of the box. I think she tries to hard in poles. She knocked 2 of them over. The time off from barrels really helped her. She had one of the best barrel runs she has had in over 2 years.

My children are confident in general life. However, I think they lack the belief that they could be real champions in riding horses. Racheal is very good with horses. She does a really good job with colts. She could ride anything and I know she could be a top barrel racer or pole bender. However, she does not believe that she is. She loves to do it, but she doubts herself every time she gets to a competition. I have tried to give her the right advice about writing the things you are good at, focusing on perfect practice, setting goals, and all of the other tools necessary to become great. She does not incorporate any of them. I know that I can not change her thinking. She has to do that on her own. I just hope some day, she will take it to heart and start to use the tools to make her life the best it can be.

Brent is amazing with a rope. He has loved to rope since he was just a year old. He used to go around the house with a jump rope riding a toy golf club like a stick horse. He also doubts himself when he gets to competition. He is really good in the practice pen but struggles at the rodeo. I would love to be able to figure out how to get them believe.

No comments: